10 Things You Didn’t Know About India
1. India leads the world in junk emails.
2. Kingfisher beer contains glycerin. It is used to preserve the beer in India’s severe heat.
4. Everyday more than 4000 Dabbawallas pick up more than 100,000 lunches at homes in Mumbai, India, and deliver their lunches to their places of work. The lunches are sorted several times and transported by train, cart, and bicycle. Mumbai has a complicated network of streets and twin buildings, making it arduous for the more than 16 million residents to get around. Yet the Dabbawallas deliver these lunches to the right people at the right time 96 percent of the time. Their error rate is 1 in 16 million transactions!
Here are a couple of their achievments:
Six Sigma Performance
Received ISO 9001 : 2000 Certificate
5. India has the world’s largest movie industry. Bollywood of course.
6. It is traditional to wear white to a funeral in India.
7. Skin bleaching is a multi million dollar business in India.
8. There are 4 tribal groups who have been identified in The Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
The “Bo” which would have been the 5th, are now extinct.
9. India is one of the few countries in the world, which gained independence without violence.
10. India is the birthplace of Chess. The original word for “chess” is the sanskrit word “chaturanga” meaning “four members of an army” which were most likely, horses, chariots, elephants, and foot soldiers.